Friday, April 3, 2015

this is still a travel blog. i promise.


Kia ora friends,

Although it was posted a while ago, I've been meaning to say a quick thank you to everyone who commented, responded to, shared, or simply read my last post. I was -- and still am -- overwhelmed by the feedback, the comments, and the support that I received from friends and strangers alike.

I wish I could say I was surprised by the number of women who came to me with their own stories, but unfortunately I wasn't. I was, however, grateful to each and every one of them for having the courage to talk about their experiences. These things are embarrassing, frightening, frustrating, and incredibly hard to discuss. 

That's why we have to keep talking about them. 

Okay, hopping off the soapbox now. (Anyone wanna hop on?)

*                    *                    *

Anyway, I know a lot of you read this blog to see what's going on here in New Zealand. I have to keep reminding myself that I do call this thing a "travel blog," after all. 

As it's currently 1:30am and I have to be up in six hours, this won't be a spectacular post, but here are a few shots from some of the adventures so far:
      
Above: Shots of the redwoods in the Whakarewarewa Forest up in Rotorua, where we had our brief orientation to NZ. (Never mind the fact that that was almost two months ago. Oops.)
      
Above: Mt. Somers, aka my REAL introduction to New Zealand, aka the most intense day tramp I've ever done in my whole entire life ever. (That is, until the next weekend.) I wish I had more pictures for you, but with the amount of rain and cloud we found ourselves in -- not to mention the water in my eyes, mud on my hands, and zero visibility for the day -- it wasn't a very camera-friendly hike.
However, this picture of my friend Tommy says it all:
Note to self:
Even though on most New Zealand hikes (okay, "tramps"), you use your hands as much as you use your feet, it's important to take care of your boots when you get home.
Balled up newspaper works miracles on waterlogged boots.
Good thing the uni is only a $2.50 bus ride away from multiple beaches to warm up on.
     
Above: Sumner Beach at sunset
 Above: Sealy Tarns, Mueller Hut Track, Aoraki/Mt. Cook National Park
Above: My two girls and I trying to hide how hard we were panting long enough to smile for a picture with Mt. Cook, New Zealand's tallest mountain.

I have heaps more pictures I can't wait to share with you guys, but I'd better get some rest before I take off in the morning. Our university has a three week break (meant for studying) (oops), and I'll be spending it hitchhiking the entirety of New Zealand's South Island. (And if you think my mom was happy when I told her that you can guess again.) 

Don't worry, I bought a pocketknife just in case.


Wish me luck everyone! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment