Sunday, April 12, 2015

Hello from Queenstown!


Hey friends!

We're a little more than a week into the long semester break and I'm warming up my chilled bones in an amazing house in Queenstown, NZ with some friends. 

While I have wifi, I wanted to let everyone who checks up on this thing know that I'm alive and safe; I got some pretty crazy looks when I told people that my plans for the break were to hitchhike the entire island. 

I've been super lucky with the rides I've got -- I started off road tripping with some good guy friends from school (okay, so it wasn't actually hitchhiking for the first four days), before somehow landing a ride all the way from one of the South Island's northernmost cities all the way to Queenstown to meet up with some friends to do the famous Routeburn Track
The fella I got the ride from and I traveled really well together and we're actually planning to meet up to do some more adventuring soon. 

I'm borrowing a friends computer to post this, so I haven't been able to upload the hundreds of pictures I've taken along the way, but here are a few iPhone shots of the guys from my short time road tripping with them:
 Walking along Farewell Spit, the northernmost point on the South Island. 
This beautiful baby that Zach is tying the "chilly bin" (ice bucket) to is aptly named "Moontower." Stories to come. 

Heading into town now that the snow is clearing up so that's it for now. After Queenstown, I'll be hitching back down to Te Anau to do the Kepler Track -- another famous NZ Great Walk.

Wish me luck!

Anyone who's been in Queenstown have any suggestions for a cheap #NZMustDo? (:

No comments:

Post a Comment