Wednesday, August 19, 2015

New Zealand in 21 pictures

I've always had a thing for cameras. For years I shot with disposables just because I loved the funky pictures I got back. After endless envelopes of 4x6 prints, I stopped frequenting the 24-hour photo counters in drug stores because of the cost. And because I had enough pictures to plaster my walls five times over by my freshman year of college.

I did treat myself to a disposable camera before I left for New Zealand, knowing what a surprise it would be to develop the shots after getting back to the States months later. I knew there was no way I'd remember every single photo I took while there until I developed them, so it'd be a great reminder of hazier memories from my six months down under. 
Sunset from Mt. John Observatory, Lake Tekapo maybe?

Ironically, I had no idea where the first photo that developed was taken. This memory-jogging thing might not have been as flawless as I thought.


          
Summit of Mt. Somers, Canterbury, New Zealand

The last four photos were all taken on the hike from hell, aka Mt. Somers. The tramping club at my uni organized a number of tramps (hikes) during orientation week. Me, being the confident noob I was, signed up for the "advanced" tramp. DUMB. I was also a little dumb for using four of the 24 exposures on this one day. Definitely wasn't thinking of rationing out pictures like I would get used to as the semester pressed on. It was a learning experience. 

I'd go into more detail about that hike, but I have a whole post about it planned. You'll probably see it in three months from now. I hope that's just a joke. Anyway. 
Mueller Hut Track, Aoraki/Mt. Cook National Park, New Zealand

The picture of Claire, Charlie, and I (R to L) in front of Mt. Cook is probably one of my favorite shots in the whole bunch. You have no idea how stoked we were to have made it to Sealy Tarns (this viewpoint of New Zealand's tallest mountain). You also have no idea how sweaty we were.
 Sunset at Lake Tekapo, New Zealand

Words don't describe how insane this sunset was. We hitched back to Tekapo after our day on Mueller Hut Track -- unfortunately we didn't get to stay in the famous hut itself. Watching this sunset while sipping a beer made it well worth it though; despite my exhaustion from the day, I sprinted to the lakefront to snap a few shots of the tie-dye sky. 

Kaikoura, New Zealand (I think)

Mt. Fyffe, Kaikoura, New Zealand

I don't think I actually brought my DSLR with me on this overnight trip. That's one of the things I love about disposables: they're tiny and super lightweight. Basically a backpacker's dream.

Canterbury Museum, Christchurch, New Zealand

Routeburn Track, Fiordland National Park, New Zealand

Kepler Track, Fiordland National Park, New Zealand

I had totally forgotten about that picture of my legs in the snow on the Kepler Track. I wasn't exaggerating! 

Autumn at the University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand

Blowhole at Punakaiki "Pancake Rocks," West Coast, New Zealand

Wellington, New Zealand

Burwood Hospital, Christchurch, New Zealand

First selfie after this poor guy's operation. Pretty sure I spent more time in NZ's hospitals than I have in America's. Who knew I'd be learning so much about the country's healthcare system while studying abroad?

"That Wanaka Tree," Lake Wanaka, New Zealand

It seems appropriate that the last picture that came out, unfortunately some don't when you use a disposable, was of the tree I had been dying to see the whole time I was there. Going to Wanaka was a long time bucketlist item that I finally crossed off in between finals for various classes. 

I'm sad that a few shots didn't come out, including one of my dude and I in the airport less than twenty minutes before my flight took off to come back to America. Maybe that's okay though. I was crying. A lot. It wasn't pretty. 

So there it is, six months worth of adventures in 21 little pictures. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment