Saturday, July 26, 2014

Eat, See, Do (But Mainly Eat)


Hey friends!

I've been feeling a little guilty about neglecting this page so much lately.
I'm trying to make it a habit to carry my camera with me a bit more often so I'll have more material to post.

D.C. has definitely kept me busy - it's pretty rare that I'm home before 10 or 11 each night. There are tons of cool places around my apartment though, so part of this post will be in honor of those spots.

One of my favorite places so far is a little Kiwi restaurant (and art gallery/coffee shop/concert venue) called Cassatt's. I had been wanting to check it out for a while and I finally had an excuse to when my friend Tyler, pictured below, paid me a visit all the way from Pennsylvania.
       
Cassatt's has indoor as well as outdoor seating, Sunday brunch, and live music weekly. They're also open until 9pm Monday-Saturday!
It's a great place to check out if you're staying or living in Arlington and don't want to head into D.C. for breakfast. 
Click here to visit their website and see a menu.
Not that I've had much time for it, but I've had a lot of fun making the room that I'm subletting feel a little more like home.
(Thanks mainly to candles and discount grocery store flowers that were pretty close to being thrown out.)
            
I've been doing more grocery shopping than I ever imagined possible, so I've learned to eat both on a budget and as simply as I can - I might have worked in a summer camp kitchen last summer, but it doesn't mean I can cook to save my life.
Above: Two-Ingredient Pancakes*

1 ripe banana, 2 eggs
Mash banana in a bowl, stir in eggs.
Pour onto pan over med-high heat.
Flip after 30 seconds or when browned.

*Or Three-Ingredient Pancakes if
you add dark chocolate chips like I did.

Above: Sweet Breakfast Scramble

1 ripe banana, 2 eggs, brown sugar optional
Mash banana in a bowl, stir in eggs and brown sugar.
Pour into pan, stirring
occasionally, as if preparing scrambled eggs.
Add fruit and enjoy!

When I learn to make something that doesn't require just a banana and eggs, I'll definitely let you all know.
(Don't hold your breath though.)

If you're worried that I'm not eating, I promise I am!
(Thanks in part to my mid-west friends who thankfully know how to grill.)
Having a barbecue with a few friends is a great and low cost way to celebrate summer!
        

D.C. Must See: Eastern Market
"If I lived in a city like this, I'd get on the metro without any plans and get off whenever I felt like it."
       
Last weekend, I somewhat miraculously found myself without plans on Sunday, and decided to take the day to explore D.C. by myself the way my friend Tyler suggested in the quote above. I ended up getting off at Eastern Market and exploring the amazing booths and shops nearby.

After about a half an hour I met a super friendly fellow-west-coaster who had decided to spend her day the exact same way as me, so we paired up after meeting over an exciting episode trying on some cool elephant pants.

This is her:
We ended up spending about seven hours together, bonding over the biggest bowl of guacamole I've ever seen and our mutual love of gelato, peaches, and lord knows what else.
We have some big adventures planned for this weekend, so I'll be sure to keep ya posted.

Until then, cheers everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment